Instant runoff voting (IRV) is a simple upgrade to the way we do elections. Instant runoff voting allows voters to rank candidates in order of preference, which means voters don’t have to worry about throwing away their vote on a candidate they know is unlikely to win.
IRV is an upgrade to elections because it:
- Promotes majority support
- Discourages negative campaigning
- Provides more choices for voters
- Saves money when replacing preliminary or runoff elections
- Promotes reflective representation
- Minimizes strategic voting
- Increases participation from military and overseas voters
Do you like this page?